Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Week 1: Webster, IA




"You orbit my world in an endless revolution. You're my gravity, my strength and my solution." Day 2 of VBS, and I already know this song is going to be stuck in my head all summer! That's ok, though- it's a good one. I didn't mention this last time, but the theme for this VBS is Galactic Blast- hence the astronaut gorilla puppet and the word "orbit" showing up in song lyrics. The curriculum works in plenty of fun facts about space. Today we talked about how the moon goes through different phases, but even when we can't see all of it, it's always there- just like God is always there even when we can't see Him clearly.

Well, this week Peg is spending some well-deserved fun time with her grandkids, so I'm on my own, and I get to drive the van! I am blessed to have three wonderful ladies from the church as well as five youth helpers, and things are going very smoothly. Today we had 17 kids from Webster or neighboring towns. To give you a frame of reference, wikipedia tells me that the population of Webster is 110.

We are all ready for it to stop raining so much so we can go to the park next door to eat lunch and play. Yesterday, we played limbo with a broomstick (they could have done that all day!) and today, we sang some of the favorite Sunday school songs of Webster UMC. I learned a few new ones, but I also enjoyed hearing a girl request Jesus Loves Me-"that one song...with the Bible tells me so..." and watching one sincere kindergartener sing his heart out. Sometimes we try too hard- it's hard to beat a simple Jesus Loves Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment