Friday, July 23, 2021

Hey hey, Goliath...

So surreal to be back to Richland- in my first several summers working with MUMMs I went to Peg's house in Richland to prepare for VBS, and now here I am doing Bible school here. 



I've really enjoyed playing Two Truths and a Lie as an icebreaker during Bible time on the first day (Armor Up with Truth!) It can get pretty philosophical when you reflect on it (How can we tell what is true? Is it easy to know when someone is telling the truth? Is it always best to tell the truth? Should we always believe what we see on the internet?) I think I've used the same example two truths and a lie all summer, and I was super impressed with a girl here who answered as confidently as if she'd known me all her life. I asked her how she knew, and she explained very patiently- "You just look like someone who would play the ukulele." Goals. :-D 



We had great volunteers, but the science station was a standout. A retired principal dressed in cardboard armor as Goliath and let the kids shoot paper at him with slingshots. They won't forget that lesson anytime soon. 



As always, the preK group brought us lots of smiles. One girl raised her hand at three separate times on Tuesday night to tell me she hadn't been here before. The next day she came with a big smile- "I came here again!" Yes you did, little one. Keep on coming. I also had to stifle a giggle during the puppet time as I heard one girl very firmly correcting a little boy on my dragon friend's name:"It's SPARKY not SHARKY!" 






One of my favorite activities during Bible time was about making the best of a bad situation. Paul and Silas were unjustly thrown in jail, and they used their time to sing songs to God and witness to their jailer. This activity had kids use the power of the pen to turn the negative into something better- and we talked about how yes, you've always got the power of the pen. 

1 comment: