Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Batavia

Whenever I say the name, my mom thinks it sounds like a medieval kingdom with a castle- Bataaaviaaa. We may be getting ahead of ourselves- it's next year that the theme of VBS is Knights of North Castle.

This town of 499 people (I guess I made 500 for the week?) sees about 25 people come to the United Methodist church on a Sunday. So it was pretty neat then to have 21 kids on the first night, with a few more along the way. I told the kids the first day that their "homework" was to bring a friend, and I had at least one kid introduce their homework to me. :)

One of our young friends came bounding in the second night, and I about fell over when he said his name. I had just seen it on the page of one of our solar system books- he shares a name with a constellation. Another boy, a mythology fan, was excited to tell him the story behind it.



We had some great help here, and they were flexible enough to try new things. In years past, they had not served a meal with their VBS- but it came very naturally to them, and throughout the week they were willing to take on all sorts of leadership roles. The pastor has a penchant for science, and the kids really enjoyed that part of the evening!




The last night, we invited families to come for a short program, and they saw how the kids, in 4 days, had memorized Ephesians 3:20: "Glory to God who is able to do far beyond all that we could ask or imagine by His power at work within us." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment